Not to be confused with Bargoed Woodland Park that runs alongside the River Rhymney, Bargoed Park is the largest of our urban parks in the county borough covering over 19 hectares. Ornamental flowerbeds, including the ‘floral harp’ extend across the lawns at the front of the park, whilst open grass areas and mature trees make the park a pleasant walk.
In 1905 land comprising ‘’nineteen acres, one rood and three perches’’ was leased from the Hanbury family for a Municipal Park by Gelligaer Parish Council for £25 rent per year. The Parish Council was able to purchase the land in 1929 and paid £550 to then owners, Pontypool Estate. This was a substantial sum at the time but at about £28 per acre when compared to current land values, it looks like a very good deal indeed.
Additional land was acquired by the then Gelligaer Urban District Council in the early 1950s for the construction of the athletics track and grandstand which still exist today. The last piece of land was added in 1960 for the princely sum of £10 when a road alteration scheme slightly changed the park boundary along Park Drive.
At the original entrance to the park on Upper Wood Street there is a fine pair of wrought iron memorial gates. They were erected in 1952 to commemorate the Festival of Britain that was held the previous year.
Sport is catered for with football and rugby pitches including a synthetic all-weather pitch. The main rugby pitch, complete with its grandstand, is home to Bargoed RFC. There's plenty to do if you want to keep your younger family members active. Slides, swings and climbing frames make up a traditional playground whilst recent additions to the park include a Multi-Use Games Area and skateboard ramps. The wide-open grass areas are ideal for flying a kite, having a picnic or just running around letting off steam.
Where it is Bargoed Park is on the western side of Bargoed enclosed by Moorland Road, Western Drive and Park Drive. CF81 8PS
How to get there By car - Park Drive, Bargoed. By bus - Bargoed is well served with buses. Services C18 -Bargoed to Gilfach Estate and X38 Bargoed to Pontypridd serve the park locally. Nearest railway station - Gilfach (15 minute walk), Bargoed (20 minute walk).
Park hours The park is open daylight hours all year round. It is also free to access.
Car parks A car park is available off Park Drive opposite Bargoed Methodist Church.
Other access points Access can be gained on foot at various locations off Moorland Road, Park Drive and Upper Wood Street.
Toilets There are no toilets available.
Accessibility The site slopes gently from west to east. Paths are surfaced with tarmac and are generally flat and level although some have gentle inclines. Entrances are gated but present no obstruction during opening hours. The car park has two dedicated disabled parking bays. Benches are located throughout the park.
Parks Services, Bargoed House, 1 St Gwladys Way, Bargoed, CF81 8AB
Tel: 01443 811452